Silver Rush 2017

I'm sorry I haven't written in a couple of months, I've been super busy with school, family, and sports, as well as what I'm going to share with you today. But one of my New Year's Resolutions is to post more on my blog so I will work on that in 2018!

I'm thrilled to share some exciting news with you! The Now I Can Foundation is the recipient of the Riverton High School Silver Rush grant! Riverton does a charity drive every year where they raise thousands of dollars for their chosen charity. It was an amazing opportunity and I'm so grateful I was able to be a part of it.

When my mom told me the news, I was so ecstatic because I couldn't wait to spend more time at this amazing school. There is definitely a different spirit when you walk into the school. And the student body officers put in so much time and effort to make the fundraiser a success and it definitely paid off.

My mom and I were privileged to speak at the opening assembly introducing Now I Can. I shared more about my experiences and the difficult things about having a disability. They gave me a standing ovation and I already felt so much love from the student body even though I hadn't met very many of them yet.

One of the things that they do is have an original song written for Silver Rush and performed at the assembly. The girls who wrote it are amazing and have become great friends of mine and the song embodies the spirit of Silver Rush. They focus on "it's not about the money, it's about the change." I was able to see that throughout the month as I watched other people change as well as myself.

Throughout the month they had an event or activity almost every day to raise money. I was able to attend many of these activities and they get a great turnout and everyone is so into Silver Rush. Another cool thing they do is go out every day after school and do odd jobs at every home in Riverton and Bluffdale. I was amazed that these students were willing to take time out of their day when they could be doing homework and hanging out with friends, but instead, they were out serving others. They are such a great example to me. 

The closing assembly was absolutely wonderful. The feeling in the school is completely different than anything I've ever felt. The students have so much respect for their teachers and other adults, and they are silent when anyone is talking (much different from my school). I was able to share a message with the students and I thanked them for their service and love to me and the other kids of Now I Can and the great examples they have been to me. Luckily I was able to get through it without crying.


They showed a video at the end with pictures and videos from the month and then at the conclusion they dropped a banner that had the total they raised. $178, 980. 18!!!!!!! Everyone was crying because we were all in shock. It was just amazing, there are no words to describe it.

At the opening assembly the director of the charity, last year talked to us and he said that we weren't prepared for what would transpire in the next month. I thought I was but he was right. The thing that surprised me the most was how much I changed. I'm now more willing to talk to people and give service. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to be a part of Silver Rush, make lots of new friends, and learn more about myself and the person I want to become. THANK YOU RIVERTON!!





Always have hope,


Colby

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Colby, you're the best. Thank you for helping to make Silver Rush so awesome. We are blessed to have met all the amazing people at Riverton High School. Their service will bless lots of kids at Now I Can!

    ReplyDelete