Finding Courage

I've been thinking lately about courage. Courage is an amazing thing that some people don't have. It is important to have courage for all of the things we go through in life.

Courage has been shown throughout many events in history. The soldiers who fight in wars have to have a lot of courage to leave their families and go fight. Courage is had when somebody goes through a tough procedure. Courage is needed whenever somebody does something that they aren't exactly comfortable with doing. 

I was thinking about some areas where I need to have more courage. One area is public speaking. Ever since I was little I have not liked to talk in front of people. I get really nervous when I speak. My hands get sweaty, my legs shake and feel numb, and I have to swallow all the time! But the interesting thing is, every time I tell somebody that I don't like talking in front of people, they always say "but you're so good at it!" Even though I might be good at it, it still takes a lot of courage for me to speak publicly. 

I think that sometimes when we tell ourselves that we can't do something we completely lose whatever confidence we had before. They actually did a test where they had people who were lifting weights say "I can do it". Then it became easier for them because they were positive. Our minds are very powerful and what we think affects how we act. 

Something I've found that helps me to get over the fears that I have is to face my fear as often as I can. I think it will help us if we practice and face what we are nervous for so that we can get over it. I know that we can find courage as we do the things that might push us out of our comfort zones. I'm very grateful for the courage I've been blessed with. 

This is a picture of me when I was eight or nine talking in front of a group of elementary school students about my family's foundation. Even though I was nervous to talk to them (and swallowed a lot)--I still did it! 








What things prompt you to have courage?





Always have hope,
Colby

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Colby - I love your blog! I feel lighter and happier when I read your posts. Thanks for lifting my spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colby, you are so great at public speaking! I really miss having you in our class because you always had a lot of good insight to give. (we hope you're enjoying your new class though). I'm glad I found your blog too! Thank you for being brave and finding the courage to help teach our class and for everything else you do.
    It's really hard for me to put myself out there and try new things (like my blog for example) I'm always nervous of what people think and what they will say or if they will even care at all. I get courage the more I share things and get feed back, the more courage I get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helping people learn to make good choices (aka sharing the gospel) motivates me to have courage!

    ReplyDelete