Pathways of Belief: The Language of Faith

My mom has always encouraged my brothers and me to think and speak positively, about ourselves and others. I would consider myself a pretty happy and positive person, but sometimes the first thoughts that come into my head are not the kindest, especially to myself. I can think of the worst possible outcome of a given situation, and have a hard time thinking positively about it, as I think most of us do at times.

When I began to read the Book of Mormon again as a missionary, I learned an important lesson from Lehi and Sariah in 1 Nephi. The Lord commands Nephi and his brothers to go back to Jerusalem and get the plates from Laban. They are gone for a while, and Sariah, as a concerned mother, complains to Lehi and blames him for leading them out of Jerusalem and causing her sons to perish, calling him "a visionary man". Lehi then assures Sariah by saying "But behold, I have obtained a bland of promise, in the which things I do rejoice; yea, and I know that the Lord will deliver my sons out of the hands of Laban, and bring them down again unto us in the wilderness" (1 Nephi 5:4). I love the hope and confidence Lehi shows, but I noticed something I hadn't before when I read this verse. Lehi says that they have obtained a land of promise, but at this point, they are still wandering in the wilderness on their way to the promised land. Lehi is speaking in a language of hope, knowing that they will be guided to the promised land and that the Lord will keep His promises.

Sariah is comforted by Lehi’s words and when her sons return with the plates she says “Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness; yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected my sons, and delivered them out of the hands of Laban, and given them power whereby they could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded them” (1 Nephi 5:8). It is intriguing to me that Lehi expresses faith and hope before the miracle occurs, and Sariah does so after.


I think there are seasons in our lives where we can express faith before a miracle happens because we’ve seen what the Lord can do, and we trust He will do it again. Other times we might be unsure of His power, and we don’t show faith until after. Both are valid, and it depends on the circumstance. I think what I love most about this story is that Lehi’s faith and trust in the Lord inspired Sariah to have the sure knowledge of His hand in their journey. Even after her sons returned home, she acknowledged that God had guided Lehi to flee into the wilderness, protected her sons from Laban, and would continue to protect them until they reached the promised land. It’s not enough just to have faith, we need to spread faith. We can do this through our words and examples. How can you speak the language of faith and encourage others to do the same?

Always have hope,

Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments