Pathways of Belief: Faith as a Relationship

I had a conversation with my brother last week about faith in Christ. He is also studying faith for his Book of Mormon class and he shared some great insights that I hadn’t thought about before. He told me a definition of faith that expanded the purpose of faith for me. “The word faith, as it appears in the King James Version of the New Testament, is a translation of the Greek word pistis, which is best understood in terms of the ancient world’s patron-client relationship—as is grace.” Alternate definitions of Pistis are also “loyalty” or “faithfulness”, indicating a relationship. I’ve studied about grace a lot in the past couple of years, and I love the connection to a relationship.

Our faith in Christ should bring us closer to Him and help us get to know Him better, so if we are intentional in cultivating and maintaining faith, then it increases our relationship with Him. The strength of our relationship is dependent upon the effort we put in. He is ready and willing to come to us at any moment, we just have to invite Him in. I love the thought of focusing more on a relationship than a routine. Are we looking for a result or a relationship? To have our faith become a relationship with Jesus Christ we need to figure out what kind of relationship we want to have with Him.


We are blessed when we exercise faith and maintain a relationship with Jesus Christ. Learning more about Him and His love for me has helped me to develop more faith and trust in Him. I love the scripture in 2 Nephi that says "He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation" (2 Nephi 26:24). Understanding that everything He has or will do, is for my benefit and the benefit of the world, makes me want to know Him because I want to be like Him. How have you seen your faith in Christ grow as you focus on your relationship with Him?

Always have hope,

Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments