Pathways of Belief: A Deep Dive into Faith and the Book of Mormon

Hello friends!

I have been away from the blogging world for a while and I'm finally back! If you're new, welcome! I'm, so happy you're here! A lot has happened in the past 6 years, and I'll try and post an update soon. For now, I'm going to be doing a blog series for my Book of Mormon class at BYU. The Book of Mormon is another book of scriptures that testifies of Jesus Christ, along with the Bible. For my project, I will be writing about what the Book of Mormon teaches us about faith. In this first post, we will learn about what faith is and how the prophets use and define the first principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The word faith is used 260 times in the Book of Mormon, mostly in the context of belief systems and blessings that come from acquiring and acting on faith. For as long as I can remember, Alma 32:1 has been one of my favorite scriptures and gives one of the best definitions of faith "Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true". The prophet Alma goes on to teach the people about faith using the metaphor of planting a seed, and nourishing it until it grows. A popular Primary song teaches children
"Faith is knowing the sun will rise, lighting each new day.
Faith is knowing the Lord will hear my prayers each time I pray.
Faith is like a little seed:
If planted, it will grow.
Faith is a swelling within my heart.
When I do right, I know."

We know that “Faith is both a principle of action and power”. We have to put our faith in something for it to be effective. President Russell M. Nelson has taught “Faith in Jesus Christ is the greatest power available to us in this life. All things are possible to them that believe”. Near the end of the Book of Mormon the prophet Moroni shares the promise Jesus gave "Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you." I hope that we can learn together how to grow our faith in Jesus Christ through the teachings of the Book of Mormon over the coming weeks. I know we will be blessed as we put our trust in the Savior and His plan for us. Come back next week to learn how you can increase your faith in Jesus Christ! It's good to be back with y'all!

Always have hope,

Colby 

You Might Also Like

0 comments