Setting Goals

I've been thinking lately about goal setting. With the new year beginning, this is a great time to set goals because it is a fresh start and we can think about what we want to achieve in the new year.

I've always loved setting goals for many reasons. I like being able to think about the things you want to change in your life. Sometimes it takes a lot of thought to think about specific goals you want to accomplish. I also like the fact that you can create deadlines for your goals so that you will be more determined to complete your goal.

In my Leadership class at school, we always do a unit where we talk about goals. Something we always talk about is SMART goals. I was super excited when I learned about this way to set goals. Let me explain how it works, because it is really cool. This is an acronym so each letter stands for something you should think about when you are setting goals.

Specific-The goals that we make need to be specific so that we know exactly what we want to accomplish. One of my goals is that I want to buy a computer by the end of the summer. 

Measurable- This means that we need to set a specific amount of time that want to accomplish the goal. My goal is measurable because I know I have 6 months to earn the money. 


Achievable- We shouldn't make a goal to earn $1 million in one week because that is not going to happen. We need to make goals that are actually possible to achieve. My goal is achievable because I can earn the money in time. 

Relevant-This kind of has to do with the previous one. We need to make goals that are relevant to us. We want to make goals based on what we want to accomplish, not just something completely random. My goal is relevant because I really want and need a computer!

Timely- Our goals needs to be timely so that we can know when we want to finish the goal. This is important so that we don't get sidetracked in what we want to do. My goal is timely because I know exactly when I want to accomplish it.

This would be a great way to begin to make goals this year. It gives you a certain format and way to make the goals. I love to make goals and to think about changes I want to make in my life. I hope you can use this system to make your goals.  







Always have hope,
Colby

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. That is a great goal Colby!! Go get that computer! :) One of my goals this year is to put together a family photo book for last year. I need to give myself some time parameters though. I like the acronym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would love to see that family photo book when you're done. I think it's a great goal!

      Delete