Cheer Fun

This week we've had cheer tryouts. I was really nervous coming in to them because there were so many girls coming in as freshmen who were trying out, and then a lot of the girls currently at the school too.

I was concerned because there are many different aspects that go into being judged and considered for cheer. Like dance and stunting ability, loudness, tumbling, etc. 

And everyone I talked to kept telling me to just do my best. But sometimes I don't think they understand that my best is very different from other people's best and sometimes it's not enough. So I have said a lot of prayers in the span of the past few days and have had to have a lot of faith. 

It was helpful because I have some friends that are on cheer right now and a couple that will be trying out. I think it somewhat helps my confidence and helps my nerves go away. And that way I have people to rely on. 

Wednesday I felt like my tryout went really well. I didn't mess up in the dance and then my thigh stand hit perfectly! But I was a little nervous because they did call backs and so I got worried. 

But around 8:00 they posted the numbers of the girls who made each of the teams. I MADE JV!!! I'm so happy and relieved that I don't have to worry about that anymore. And a lot of my friends made JV and Varsity so that will be fun that I get to be with them. 

As part of cheer initiation one of the things they do is wake you up very early in the morning and take you to one of the senior's houses to do some fun activities and bond with each other. 

Last year my mom took me later because we felt it was too early. But this year she told me they were coming and I was really excited but I had to clean up my room a little bit! My mom came in and woke me up at 3:00 and told me they were here. So I pretended to be asleep (since I kind of still was) when the cheer captain came in to get me. She gave 3 minutes to change, but I took much longer than that. 

When we got in the car she blind folded me while we went and picked up another girl. We made t-shirts there and then went to IHOP at 5:00. And as people were coming into the school we performed for them. 

I've had a really fun and busy week but I'm so glad I'll be on JV next year! It will be so fun to get to know the new girls and continue to cheer at the games. Provo will have a great year and I'm happy to be a part of it! 

Always have hope,




Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments