Guest Post: Kallene Chatterton

Today we have a guest blog post from one of my good friends Kallene. We have known each other for a long time and she has influenced me in so many ways. I'm grateful I know her! Hope you enjoy! 


Dear Colby,

I decided to write my guest post for you the same way I write for my and my sister's blog: in letter form. It just seems to make it easier for me. It makes me feel like I am sitting on the couch with you chatting during the commercial break of "Love it or List it" because of course I forgot to record it so we can't be fast-forwarding the commercials (what a fantastic invention that DVR thing!).

I was perusing my iPhone pictures trying to get inspiration for what to write about, and a picture of you and my adorable baby CC struck a chord in my soul and connected some dots for me, so I knew that was it. 
Inline image 1
Remember this day? We went and watched that football game together, and you held CC for me (thank you). CC being a second child (and a second child without a big age gap from the first child), gets passed around a lot, and held by a lot of other people. This is a tremendous help to me, but also often causes a stretch of my little mother-heart. I have to trust a lot of other people to help me do my job. It's my village I am trusting, people. My village that is helping raise my children.

Inline image 3
I had no idea when I became a mom that while I was being entrusted with one of God's most precious souls, I myself would have to learn to trust others. Anytime one of my girls is in someone else's arms, I have to consciously choose to trust them, trust their judgment, and trust that my child will be safe in their care. (I guess these days I also have to trust that my children won't be terrors while I am not the one supervising them.) When I pass CC off to sit in your arms, I trust that you will hold her tenderly but firmly, and not let her wiggles bring her to a harmful or scary fall. When I attend the Relief Society activity to pull weeds at the church like I did tonight, I trust those kind young women to watch my dear baby. I trust that they know how to hold a baby, and that they know not to feed the baby candy or food, and they know not to try and make her play with things she doesn't know how to play with. I find myself trusting a lot.


Inline image 2


And so I learn about trusting as a Mom, and as a person, and as a friend. You and your family are the dearest with my girls, and have helped me to grow my trust. Since each of you is completely trustworthy, it encourages me to continue trusting others. It makes me treasure the trust that has been placed in me as their mom. It is fitting for me to learn trust from both sides: being trustworthy, and trusting others. For showing trust is similar to showing faith. And faith is what keeps my hope shining bright. It is an honor to trust you Colby, and to have hope right along with you in the brightness of your future.

LOVE, Kallene
-- 
Kallene C. Chatterton






You Might Also Like

0 comments