World CP Day

My mom told me that Wednesday was World CP (Cerebral Palsy) Day. I didn't know it was that popular to have them make a world holiday for it! 


I'd like to take a minute to write about having cerebral palsy and the challenges and ways of having this disability. 

To be honest with you, I've never really felt bad or at a disadvantage throughout most of my life. (Although cheer has kind of put a toll on me!) But I have learned that I can't change the way I am and I just have to do my best. 

I'll never forget in 5th grade when I asked three friends at different times how they felt having a friend with a disability. And the all responded the same way! They said that they don't really notice and they just look at me as a normal girl. 

And I think my confidence has grown over the years as I can see that I just need to do the things that I can and just accept that there will always be things that I won't be able to do as well, and that's okay! 

I know it will get better over time and I will be able to discover more about myself and my strengths and how I can find ways to do what I want to. Being on cheer has been a real confidence builder for me to prove to myself I can do whatever I put my mind to. 

I'm grateful for my disability and everything I've been able to learn about myself and others. I've learned how to be more compassionate and acceptance towards others, because of what people I've done to me! I'm grateful I'm able to have this trial in my life! 

Always have hope,
Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments