Church History Trip

I just got home from a church history trip that I did with my family. We went to many places along the east coast that were significant to the restoration and start of my church. This is going to be a long post, so bear with me!

First we went to New York to see where the church officially started. A young boy named Joseph Smith had a vision in a grove of trees telling him that he wasn't to join any of the current, that he was going to restore Christ's church back onto the earth. 

We visited the Sacred Grove where he had the vision; as well as his family's log home and frame home. My testimony really grew of the faith that we all can and should have, with which we can do amazing things. 




We also went to Grandin's Printing Press, where the first copies of the Book of Mormon were printed. It was really amazing to learn about the sacrifices of both money and time that they had to make in order to print it. 







Then we also got to go to Niagra Falls! I was really excited about this because I've always thought it would be fun to see. As we were driving up we got to see Canada on the other side of the falls! 


We got to ride in a boat that took us across, and pretty close to the falls. We had to wear ponchos for when we got wet. We actually got sprayed a lot! But it was still really fun! 



Then we drove to Ohio to stay with some friends for a few days while we saw the sites there. 

We visited the Kirtland Temple as well as Newel K. Whitney store and the ashery, and the John Johnson Farm. It was really cool to learn about all of the events that happened there. 



Then we made the ten hour drive to Nauvoo Illinios. We stayed in a hotel that was right in the middle of town so it was close to everything. 

The first night we had dinner with my great aunt and uncle who are serving a mission here. It has been fun to see them in action doing their missionary duties! 

Then we went and saw the opening night of the Nauvoo Pageant. I was really excited to see this because I'd heard so many great things about it! It was amazing!! Just the stories of the Saints and the things that they were willing to sacrifice for the gospel was absolutely inspiring. 

Over the next couple of days, we explored Nauvoo. We went on wagon and carriage rides in the rain and watched some of the shows that were done by the senior couples and the Young Performing Missionaries. I loved watching them share the gospel in that way! 





We also got to see the British Pageant which started only two years ago. We met up with some friends from Florida and were able to do some things with them. I loved the British Pageant because it shared the stories of the English Saints and how they came to find the gospel and join with the others. 

Nauvoo was probably my favorite place that we visited because of all the missionaries that were there. I became great friends with some of the sister missionaries there and they helped me to increase my love of this gospel. 

For our last stop we went to Independence, Missouri. On the way we went to Adam-Ondi-Ahman, which is really just 3,000 acres of green, but the Spirit is still really strong. Then we visited Liberty Jail where Joseph Smith was inprisoned for 4 1/2 months! I thought this was a great ending to the trip to wrap everything up! 




I had a wonderful time on my church history tour. My testimony of this gospel and of the Restoration was really strengthened from being able to learn about the Saints and all the things that they went through. I hope that I can share the gospel with others so that it can make a difference in their lives. You can visit lds.org for more information.  



Always have hope,
Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments