Not a Chance!

I had an amazing experience with my good friend the other day. She chose me as her subject for an essay she's writing on a "silent hero in the community". I was very honored when she told me she wanted to feature me in her essay. 

When she came over she asked me a bunch of questions about my life and my disability. It was cool because some of the things she asked I had never thought about before. But it was good for me to reflect upon my life and the things that I do.

I want to share a few of the questions that made me think. 

Do you think people can relate to the kind of therapy you do (pain wise) or is it just something they have to experience?

My answer to this was that it depends. Some of the exercises, stretches, and things people can imagine, especially if you're really tight! But I think there's other things, and especially the difficulty of them that can make it hard to understand. 

Do you ever feel like people judge you or look and treat you differently because of your disability? What's the weirdest thing that's happened?

I've had a lot of experience with this and have had mixed feelings in the past. But I was thinking about it the other day, and being in high school and going through these things. I think I rely on my friends who love me for who I am and don't care about my differences. And I think it's more that the don't understand my differences so it then makes it awkward and uncomfortable for them. Not so much that they are judging me. 

The weirdest experience that I have had is when little kids come up to me and ask "What's wrong with your hand?" I try to explain to them that I was born like this. And then they go off and whisper to their friends and keep looking back at me!

If you could go back in time and change whether or not you have a disability, would you?

I answered this question a lot faster than I thought I would. I said "Not a chance"! When I really thought about I think I've learned more lessons than I could from not having a disability. And I know it has made me a better person because of it. I know throughout the rest of my life it will bless and affect me in ways I can't even imagine. 

I'm very grateful for the opportunity I had to be interviewed by my friend. I learned about myself and the real feelings I have about my disability and the experiences I've had with it. 

Always have hope,



Colby


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Colby, you are so awesome! I absolutely loved reading this post! You are an inspiration--your mature outlook and perspective, your understanding of yourself and others, and your willingness to accept hard things in order to learn and grow are all seriously heroic! You've touched our family in so many ways and we absolutely love you, exactly as you are because of who you are and how you live your life!

    ReplyDelete