Preparing for General Conference

This Saturday and Sunday is the LDS Church's General Conference. I love the times that this comes up during the year because it is always a great learning experience for me. We get to hear from prophets and apostles the things the Lord would have us do. But sometimes I think it's hard to prepare and be ready for Conference. So I'm going to share a few things that I've done and that have worked for me. 

Come With Questions

I feel I'm more prepared when I have things in mind that I want to know. It also helps me to listen more attentively as I'm focusing on those questions. It's always amazing to me how SOMETHING in one of the talks can apply to you, you just have to be ready for it. And it's important to write these questions down so you can refer back to them. 

Start Now

I always try and start praying within the week before Conference to help me feel more prepared. I pray about my questions and what He would have me get out of it. I also pray that I can use the things that I learn in my life and continue to remember them. I also read a thing that suggested that you pray before each session. I think this is a great idea. 

Take Notes

As many of you know, I'm an avid journal writer and I love it! So that's another reason why I love Conference is so I can take notes. But I just have to write everything down. But my mom taught me that I should only write down the important things and impressions that I feel. And now that I really think about it, that will be what I really care about when I'm older. 

Set Goals

Make a promise to yourself beforehand to do something with what you learn. Set a goal and make it happen. "Nothing changes if nothing changes." What can you do differently? And how will you do that? Remember to write down the goals that you have. 

Keep the Spirit

After Conference is over you want to make sure you don't forget anything you have learned. Within a few days after Conference they will have the talks posted on lds.org. I love to go back and read through those. And the Ensign with all the talks in it will come out in May. I highly suggest getting your own copy so you are able to highlight and take notes. Re-read the notes you've already taken! You will find that you've already received answers to your questions and promptings. There are lots of fun ways to study the previous conference talks. You can study with your family as part of Family Home Evening, or as part of your personal scripture study. 

I truly love General Conference and everything I learn from it. I'm inspired to become a better person and to make improvements in my life and to grow in the gospel.

Always have hope,





Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments