The Gift of Motherhood

I've been reading The Giver for English and I found something very interesting. All of the people in the community are given "jobs" when they turn 12. You can do a variety of things like work in the care center or on a farm. One of the "jobs" you can have is to be a mother to all of the babies that are born before they are given their names and go into families. 

When the main character, Jonas, turns 12, his mom explains to him some of the "jobs" he could have. When he asks about what the mothers do, his mom tells him that no one would want this because it's not as big of a responsibility, and only lasts for a short time. 

I was very shocked when I read this because I totally disagree. Motherhood is a sacred responsibility that everyone should take seriously and realize the value of it. In The Family a Proclamation to the World it states, "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." This partially describes the important role of motherhood. 

I'm very grateful for my mother and all the examples of good motherhood that I have in my life. Learning and watching the examples of these women has made me want to be a mother someday and have that sacred opportunity. 

This is one of my favorite videos talking about motherhood and the blessings you receive from it. I suggest that you go watch it and your perspectives on motherhood will change just as mine did. I'm very grateful for motherhood nd the amazing opportunity that it is. 



Always have hope,

Colby

You Might Also Like

0 comments